Claiming Loss of Earnings in a Personal Injury Case By Zucker & Regev, P.C. on October 08, 2015

Piggybank in a briefcase If you or a loved one were seriously injured, you may be struggling to pay resulting medical bills. Due to the nature of the injuries, you may also be out of work. This only makes your financial and emotional burden that much greater.Fortunately, in many cases, you can recoup lost wages with a personal injury claim. There are several ways to claim lost wages. You may simply try to reclaim money that you lost from being out of work temporarily. If your injuries cause long-term or permanent disability, you might also qualify for loss of earning capacity. Claiming long-term monetary damage requires attention to detail and a thorough knowledge of personal injury law. Therefore, it is important to work with an experienced attorney. To learn more about personal injury claims and loss of earnings, contact our Brooklyn practice today.

Lost Income vs. Loss of Earning Capacity

Lost income refers to the verifiable amount of money that you are missing due to your injury. You can usually prove your claim by producing paystubs or bank statements for at least six months before your accident. If you would normally receive overtime pay, you should also furnish proof of past overtime work and earning potential.

Loss of earning capacity covers future loss of income due to permanent or long-term disability. If you have suffered a life-altering injury, it is typically best to sue for loss of earning capacity rather than lost income. Earning capacity extends years into the future, and it includes your current lost wages.

Calculating Future Loss of Earnings

It can be difficult to calculate your future loss of earnings. The court will consider your current income, as well as inflation, missed opportunities for advancement, and many other factors. Note that you may be able to recover future loss of earnings if you were unemployed at the time of your accident. If it seems that your injuries will keep you from getting a job, it is only just that you receive financial compensation. Children are also entitled to money for future loss of earnings if their injuries will affect future job prospects as adults.

The Importance of an Experienced Attorney

To obtain the full amount of money to which you are entitled, you should work with a qualified lawyer. Gary A. Zucker & Associates, P.C. will team up with financial and legal expert witnesses. If needed, we can discuss your case with medical professionals and experts in your field of employment. Your lawyer will also help you navigate the often complex realm of personal injury law. He or she will first determine whether you have a viable case. For example, your claim could be affected by a preexisting medical condition or other factors. After evaluating your situation, we will fight tirelessly for the money you deserve. Then you can focus on recovery and restoring your quality of life.

Contact the Law Office of Gary A. Zucker & Associates, P.C.

If you have sustained a serious injury, you deserve hard-hitting, yet compassionate, legal assistance. Contact our firm to learn more about our services and to obtain your rightful financial compensation.

Related to This

Zucker & Regev

Zucker & Regev, P.C. Personal Injury & Medical Malpractice Lawyers

At the Law Firm of Zucker & Regev in Brooklyn, NY, we represent victims of negligence, medical malpractice, wrongful death, and other personal injury cases with dozens of verdicts worth over $1 million. Our attorneys are affiliated with:

  • The American Bar Association
  • The New York State Bar Association
  • The Brooklyn Bar Association
  • The American Trial Lawyers Association
  • The New York State Trial Lawyers Association

If you are the victim of a personal injury or medical malpractice case, we want to help you. Schedule a consultation today by contacting us online or calling (718) 624-1211.

Contact Us Today

Rate, Review & Explore

Social Accounts Sprite