Product Liability and Defective Knee Replacement
The whole point of undergoing knee replacement surgery is to improve mobility and reduce pain, but when a knee replacement is defective, it can lead to far worse pain and serious injuries. A product liability attorney can help hold medical device manufacturers liable and get victims of defective knee replacements the compensation they deserve.
At Zucker & Regev, P.C., our attorneys have helped obtain positive outcomes for clients with product liability and defective knee replacement cases in Brooklyn, NY. If you believe you have a defective knee replacement, you are encouraged to contact our product liability attorneys to learn more about legal remedies that may be available to you.
Possible Types of Defects in Knee Replacements
Knee replacement implants are used to resurface damaged areas of the knee joint to help alleviate pain and improve mobility. For most people, knee replacements work as intended, allowing them to walk, run, play sports, and dance without knee pain.
Unfortunately, defective knee replacements can have quite the opposite effect, potentially causing excruciating pain and other complications. There are many ways in which a knee replacement implant may be defective. Some possible ways include:
- Poor or flawed design
- Errors with labeling or improper packaging that causes left and right knee parts to be confused
- Faulty components
- Knee replacements becoming loose after surgery
- Implants are poorly made, causing them to break easily
- Instructions for knee replacement were poorly written, causing confusion for surgeon
Complications from Defective Knee Replacement Implants
When patients get knee replacements, they expect the implant to improve their quality of life by alleviating knee pain. If a knee replacement implant is defective, pain and mobility problems often end up being worse than before treatment.
Defective knee replacements can cause serious complications, including:
- Damage to the surrounding tissues
- Infection, which can spread and become life threatening
- Severe pain
- Problems with mobility
- Difficulty healing
- Need for additional surgery
Seek Compensation with a Product Liability Lawsuit
People in Brooklyn who have received a defective knee replacement may seek compensation for their pain and suffering through a product liability lawsuit.
A product liability lawsuit may be the proper course of action for reasons such as:
- The manufacturer of the knee implant knew about defects but continued to make and sell the device
- The manufacturer knew of defects and failed to warn consumers
- The knee replacement defects were a result of its design or manufacturing
- The defects were related to the marketing of the implant, including product instructions
Through a product liability lawsuit, it may be possible to recover medical costs, including future costs for treatment related to the defective knee replacement, lost wages, and other damages.
Contact the Product Liability Attorneys of Zucker & Regev, P.C.
Those who undergo knee replacement have a reasonable expectation that their implant will work properly so that they can walk, run, and move easily and without pain. When knee replacements are defective, manufacturers have a responsibility to make things right.
If you believe you've been given a defective knee replacement and need help with your case, please contact our Brooklyn product liability attorneys at (718) 624-1211 to schedule your private consultation.